StandardsNational : CSA C22.2 N° 230; CSA C22.2 N° 239
CSA File #026831
Class 5721-01 – Cable-Control
Class 5721-11 – Cable-TC-Control
Nexans CSA unarmoured tray cables are CSA certified as type CIC in accordance with CSA C22.2 No. 239 (Control and Instrumentation Cables), and type TC in accordance with CSA C22.2 No. 230 (Tray Cables). They are suitable for installation in cable tray, raceway (such as conduit), or direct burial in industrial applications. The minimum recommended installation temperature is minus 40°C (with suitable handling procedures). All cables are marked sunlight resistant, direct burial, FT1 and FT4, making them suitable for a wide range of indoor and outdoor installations.
- For use in raceways (conduit, and ventilated, non-ventilated, and ladder-type cable trays) in dry or wet locations and where exposed to weather. Nexans cables are marked “SUN RES” for sunlight resistant.
- For direct earth burial (with protection as required by the Inspection Authority).
- For direct embedding in concrete, masonry or plaster (with permission as required by the local Inspection Authority).
- For use in ceiling air-handling plenums.
- Minimum recommended installation temperature minus 40°C (with suitable handling procedures).
- Maximum conductor temperature 90°C.
- Rated 600 V.
- Pulp and paper, chemical, petroleum and other primary and secondary manufacturing industries.
- Utility generating and switching stations as control or supply cables.
Conductor: Bare, annealed copper conforming to ASTM B3, compressed stranded in accordance with ASTM B8. Sizes 14 AWG to 2 AWG are compressed Class B, and sizes 1 AWG to 4/0 AWG are unilay compressed Class B.
Insulation: Black or coloured cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE), 90°C rated, CSA type RW90. Sizes 14 AWG to 8 AWG are CSA FV-2 / UL VW-1.
Conductor Identification: Black with number coding, or solid colours with coloured stripes.
Copper Tape Shield: Bare copper tape shield helically wrapped to provide 100% coverage. Optional for conductors sizes 14 AWG to 8 AWG, mandatory for conductor sizes 6 AWG to 4/0 AWG.
Optional Grounding Conductor: Bare, annealed copper conforming to ASTM B3 and Class B stranded in accordance with ASTM B8. Insulated or bare.
Assembly: 2 to 50 conductors are cabled in concentric layers with grounding wire (where applicable), interstices are filled with suitable non-hygroscopic fillers, as required. Copper tape shield (where applicable) applied over all conductors and fillers.
Outer Jacket: Sunlight resistant black polyvinyl chloride (PVC) jacket, 90°C temperature rating, with limited flame spread (FT1 and FT4), and sunlight resistant.
|Conductor material||Bare annealed copper|
|Maximum operating voltage||600V|
|Maximum operating temperature||90°C|
Docs and info
In case of fire, well maintained early warning smoke detectors will give an alarm long before non-metallic coverings become combustible.
However, in spite of the widespread and long-standing use of PVC in residential and commercial buildings, all purchasers of PVC insulated / jacketed products should be aware of the following:
· Non-metallic coverings of electrical cables can burn and may transmit fire when ignited.
· Burning non-metallic coverings may emit acid gases which are toxic and may generate dense smoke.
· Emission of acid gases may corrode metal in the vicinity; e.g. sensitive instruments and reinforcing rods in cement.